Deaf Association of the Deaf
Bridgeport Deaf Club of the Deaf began in 1946 by a group of young
men, Ed Buell, John Shiloski, and Joseph Ferrone who see the needs
to bring the deaf/hard of hearing community together to keep up with
the daily changes evolving around our lives. The first hall was on
East Main Street in Bridgeport, CT. The organization eventually purchased
a building on Taft Ave. in 1973 with the purpose of having meetings
and events to update our community. The building was sold in 1994/1995
as the organization have been using different locations for its meetings
and events to promote its mission.
Over the years, GBAD had sponsored softball and basketball teams as
a mean to bring the community together as well as to promote the recent
changes with the laws, services and so forth that may have an impact
on all of us in our daily lives ranging from child to senior citizen.
GBAD's men basketball team has won nine consecutive New England Association
of the Deaf regional championships and represent the region at the
national tournament throughout United States. The organization brings
and shares valuable information for our deaf/hard of hearing community
for its awareness on the changes.
Your contribution is greatly appreciate to keep our organization's
existence for the benefit of our deaf/hard of hearing community.